Thursday, September 1, 2011

An Emotional Trip to the Dentist

"We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." -C.S. Lewis

I've made really hard decisions in my life.
I've also avoided making really hard decisions in my life, because I'm afraid they will hurt...
I've put myself down, locked myself up, denied myself adventures because they are outside the "comfortable."
I've stayed in relationships and friendships with people because I was afraid of the hurt that would come if I tried to take a step back, even though I knew they weren't healthy to be around.
I've "gone along" with things because I was afraid saying "No" would mean the same as saying "Hurt and reject me."

I've been terrified of life and death--because I've been terrified of pain.

This is not a healthy fear. Y'know, some fears can be healthy and protect you--like being afraid of a wildly rushing river can help you not drown--but some can really just be paralyzing.

I remember a few years back, when I was making the transition to college and had to completely rebuild my life. Relationships, friendships, decisions, mindsets, all of it. I honestly didn't think I could do it...I was afraid to be healthy because I didn't want to hurt (myself and others).
Then one day I got tired of living in fear...so I took a baby step to change. It hurt like Ech-Ee-double hockey sticks when I was walking through it, I'll be honest. But then, things were better.
It amazed me! Really, it still amazes me. Simply stepping out of that fear of pain and being willing to RISK the hurt for a better outcome...folks, it works.
Especially if you have God at your side.

It's taken a few years, but I've banished most of that fear of pain to the desert of "I Don't Have to Be Afraid." Life is so much more...free! Lovely, brilliant, beautiful, spontaneous.

Pain will happen, yes. But we DON'T have to anticipate it!
If you think that pain is going to jump out and bite you every five minutes, you'll be waiting for it. You may even be whistling for it to come running at you...because that's simply what you expect it to do. (I've been there). Then, when you do get hurt you say "Oh, I knew that was going to happen. I always get hurt."

We all get hurt. That's true. But as I've been learning, we cannot let the fear of pain control our lives. YOU have the option to let it paralyze you, or to make decisions to move forward EVEN IF it involves confronting pain teeth-on.
And it helps to have faith there to help you through.

"There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life—fear of death, fear of judgment—is one not yet fully formed in love." -1 John 4:18 (The Message)

2 comments: